Wednesday 5 September 2018

The Making of the EP Across the Water - Part 4

 

 

BERLIN

 

Before finishing with the Making of the EP series, I'd like to say a few words about the photo on the cover of the album. This brings me to my one month residency in Berlin, in the summer of 2017.
 
 © Elvira Akzigitova



In the spring of that same year I got to visit Berlin for the very first time. I went with friends and we stayed for a couple of days. The vibe of the city was thrilling. After a succesful open mic at Madame Claude, I had made a decision to go back for a longer time as soon as possible.
 
To my luck, a few months later, I got invited back to play a gig at Home Bar. I grabbed the chance, got everything organized and at 6:30 am on the 27th of July, I was boarding my plane to Berlin.

As it turned out, there was another Estonian playing at the same night as me (which has never happened before or since !). I got to meet Kaarel and his wife Elvira who is a photographer. We became great friends and kept in touch. Later on, when I talked about finding a visual for the CD, Elvira had this photograph taken in Iceland. It couldn't have been a better match to suit the the lyrics and the mood of the music on the album. She's an amazing artist and I'll add a link here so you can explore more of her works: https://www.instagram.com/chelovekvsobake/






Altogether, I stayed in Berlin for a month. It had been a long time since I found myself in a foreign city again - it felt new, exciting and liberating. I first stayed in Kreuzberg, then Friedrichshain. I took long walks around these neighbourhoods and learned a tiny bit of German, but most of my time I spent writing. It turned out to be a very introverted period. With a lot of time in my hands and enough space, I digged deep into the meanings of songs. It wasn't all easy, but after Berlin, I felt stronger and more determined than before. Later, back in Paris, I was more than ever motivated to finish the recordings and get them out.



Madame Claude in Berlin
photo : Pamela Peepson

 

It was a bit unexpected, but I also felt a closeness to Estonia in Berlin. Something about the culture and people there, made me miss the nature and language at home. As a result of all these emotions and introspection, I wrote the song Drifting. Looking forward to record it one day as well.

Oh, Sailor,
I'm drifting
on a broken-down raft.
Oh, Sailor!
"Where's my gypsy man?"
 I think I heard a woman laugh..

Oh, Sailor!
I'm licking wounds,
to leave no trail behind!
I saw the Moon go blind
and God
was killing time..

Drifting, I go
I go drifting

Oh, Sailor,
I heard the clouds crash!
when I took this Devil
out for a dance..

Drifting, I go
I go drifting




Back from the festivals, we are now preparing to play the gig tomorrow at L'International. This will be the first we have CD's to sell in Paris ! Hope to see many of you there!

A little sneak peak on Instagram from home rehearsals 😉 https://www.instagram.com/triinumusic/

Stay tuned for the entry about the recording of the title song !
Take care !
Triinu


A link to buy and listen the full EP here (4€):
https://triinu.bandcamp.com/album/across-the-water





No comments:

Post a Comment