Saturday 22 September 2018

The Making of the EP Across the Water - Part 5



ACROSS THE WATER

 

https://triinu.bandcamp.com/track/across-the-water (with lyrics)

  



It seems like a long time ago already, but we had a great time playing at l'International! Big thanks again to all of those who came out to see us
Next week we will be playing in Bordeaux, at La Voûte. Looking very much forward to it: my first time in that city + will be sharing the stage with my friend Allan who I haven't seen for ages!! Go check out his music too
https://aupaysdesmatinscalmes.bandcamp.com/ 




Here we go for the last entry about the recordings of the title track of the EP Across the Water.

 


This is a song born from a little love story in a city where you can hear a lot of cries of seagulls. (For French-speakers, you can read a little interview here  http://www.soul-kitchen.fr/79963-across-the-universe-triinu )
  


This is also one of those songs that took a long time to grow. I wrote the lyrics around 5 years ago, but didn't know what to do with them at the time. Luckily, around the end of 2016, I accidentally found them again in my drawers and they caught my eye. By then, I had started writing music with alternative tunings, and this definitely worked well on the song. So, I tuned my guitar down to CGCGGC and got this riff down.



It was after we finished recording Love Moves Lightly, that Juliette suggested we'd give a try on this track. We started with guitar takes at home (some of which were still done with my old Squier Telecaster), layered them up and spent quite a lot of time developing the sound with my reverb and overdrive pedals.  



I've been heavily influenced by blues since early age and this was really the perfect song to let that shine. It almost demanded the use of the bottleneck and it was the first time I got to put that in use. I also improvised those same seagulls cries we were talking about earlier with the slide on the choruses. J then put her tambourine skills in use and all in all, it was so much fun!


the vocal booth
Then it was time for the vocal takes. J got the key for the studio in the conservatory and in we went. As it was the first time we recorded together, it took quite a long time to get the vocals right. I tried all types of different things to really get the emotion out. Little techniques like whispering through the whole song, then screaming out the whole song, talk the song through in Estonian, sing the song in Estonian, sing over some favorite and energy demanding songs.. I really wanted to push myself, be as honest as possible and leave something of myself on this track. In the end we were both really happy with the result and felt super excited for others to hear it.


I guess you could say I'm a late bloomer, cause it took me about 10 years to get the first EP out ! 😄 But hey, better late than never, and most importantly, I am really proud with the result. Of course I want to thank everyone involved, and so many were.. And a special thanks to all of those who have already purchased a CD from me or downloaded it on the internet 💗. By the way, now you can also buy the CD on Bandcamp, go check it out ! 


Hope to see you soon at a gig!

1) Bordeaux gig next Thursday if you're around :
https://www.facebook.com/events/260528571467206/ 

2) 5th Oct at Centre Tchèque for Parisians :
https://www.facebook.com/events/698962030469986/   



A link to buy and listen the full EP here (4€):
https://triinu.bandcamp.com/album/across-the-water

No comments:

Post a Comment